For Technology & Automation Vendors
Technology & Automation Vendors
Incredible advances have been made in the automation of pharmacy systems in the last thirty years. Unit-based cabinets, automated carousels, infusion pumps, compounding workflow management solutions, and their associated software have all changed the way pharmacies operate. With each new breakthrough, new reductions in labor and improvements in data integrity were sought and accomplished. UnitVisID Certified RFID systems, referencing a central repository of historical data on each unit-of-use medication, hold the opportunity to further these advances by driving key improvements.
Automating Manual Workflows
Many systems in use today can benefit from enhanced functionality without always needing to invest in an additional RFID reading device. For instance, 1,000+ hospitals and healthcare organizations rely on UnitVisID systems to restock the contents of their existing dispensing cabinets. RFID-enabled cabinets aren’t always necessary because the UnitVisID system will update the contents of the cabinet when restocking, saving pharmacy users time. Any system-to-system handoff workflow from an existing UnitVisID system can benefit in the same fashion, with one software integration to the UnitVisID Registry driving unlimited numbers of lookups and transactions.
Enhancing Existing RFID Systems
UnitVisID allows for an optimized approach allowing RFID-equipped carousels to inventory themselves, saving pharmacy staff from manual inventory audits. Narcotic vaults with RFID will query their contents after being accessed, so they are always up-to-date making diversions nearly impossible. Patient administration systems documenting the unit-of-use medication's unique serial number all the way to the patient’s electronic medical record.
- Access to independent 3rd party testing facilities
- Testing procedures for newly developed hardware
- Defined API endpoints to query and exchange data on scanned unit-of-use of medications
Requirements for Automation Vendors and Solutions
Only a UnitVisID Certified product may bear the UnitVisID trademarks. To obtain certification a member must:
- Adhere to specification requirements set by the UnitVisID Alliance
- Work with ARC Lab to ensure any RFID read points accurately read with other UnitVisID Certified Product
Testing & Certification for Automation Vendors and Solutions
- Submit self-certification test results showing adherence to the UnitVisID Specification
- Pass ARC certifications
- Complete a trademark licensing agreement with the UnitVisID Alliance